West London Waste Authority
Biogen recycles kerbside collected food waste from 400,000 homes in the London Boroughs of Ealing, Richmond, Hounslow and Harrow under a contract awarded by the West London Waste Authority (WLWA). All of the waste is treated via anaerobic digestion (AD) at Biogen’s Bygrave plant near Baldock in Hertfordshire. Biogen originally secured a 5-year recycling contract in 2009 and was awarded a new 4-year contract, which commenced in April 2014.
The food waste is collected from the kerbside by the Local Authorities’ own waste contractors and transported to two waste transfer stations at Brentford and Feltham. Biogen has bespoke haulage and collection arrangements in place to meet the unique criteria of each of the two transfer stations.
At Brentford, Biogen supplies large bulk trailers which can carry about 25 tonnes in one trip. Biogen works with appointed hauliers to ensure that all collections are cost effective, meaning considerable financial savings for the Authorities plus, of course, reduced carbon emissions.
“For nearly nine years Biogen has recycled, through its AD facilities, approximately 15,000 tonnes per annum of household food waste collected by various Local Authorities in West London. During our working relationship Biogen has always provided a responsive, flexible and efficient service to meet our needs.” Senior Contracts Manager, West London Waste Authority.
• Biogen’s AD service can help you meet your recycling targets
• Our network of sites means we can recycle your food waste wherever you are in the UK
• We work with over 20 Local Authorities in different regions so you’ll benefit from our extensive experience
• Our AD process is cost effective, efficient and green – saving you money and protecting the planet
• We provide advice & guidance on training crews, streamlining collections and minimising contamination
• Our haulage solutions are bespoke, there’s no ‘one size fits all’ approach
Find out how you can enjoy significant cost savings and environmental benefits using our anaerobic digestion service over other disposal routes:
T: 0844 326 7241